What is Hosting and why do I need it?
Business software we create can be classified in three categories:
- Desktop. This runs on your desktop computer. Examples would be an Excel program, a traditional one file Access database or software we create that you install with an .exe file.
- Client-Server. This is installed on the server but has a front end view that you control on your desktop. Examples would be an Access database with back end saved on the server or a SQL Server back end database with C# or VB.NET front end you install with .exe.
- Web. (commonly referred to as Cloud or SaaS) This is software that is installed on a web server. You use the program by opening a web browser and navigating to a site that hosts the software. Examples would be an online Access database, an ASP.NET/SQL Server application, or even this website.
If the application we build for you is a web application, then it needs to be hosted somewhere. Most small companies have hosting through their web site, but 90% of the time it is a Linux server, which cannot run .NET software or host SQL Server databases. Many of our clients are small companies that don’t want the hassle of obtaining separate hosting, so we developed an offering for web hosting of SQL Server databases, ASP.NET front ends, and Access databases.
We price web hosting as a cost pass-through which includes our overhead. We only offer it to clients using our consulting services who don’t mind paying a premium on hosting to avoid the hassle of managing it themselves.
We offer three tiers of Windows Server hosting. All packages are paid 12 months at a time, up front payment. All include:
- SQL Server 2012
- .NET compatible
- MS Access compatible
- Email: IMAP/POP/SMTP/WebMail
- Control Panel access
Monthly Cost Storage Data Transfer Speed
Cheapest (see below 1) $5 FREE 2gb 100 gb Fast
Middle $20 10 gb 500 gb Fast
Highest Shared Plan $50 50 gb 2,000 gb Faster
Dedicated Plan (see below 2) $200 200 gb unlimited Fastest
1. FREE plan: we offer one year free hosting with all of our software deliveries. If you want to upgrade, you can use that credit on a higher plan.
2. Dedicated Plan: only necessary if you have extremely high security requirements, have huge amounts of data, or where maximum processing speed is worth the extra amount.
Access Remote Desktop Hosting
Do you have an Access database you want to access over the internet, but don’t want to do any programming to make it compatible to move online? Usually, it’s a better solution to split the back end to an online SQL or Sharepoint database, but there is a way to simply copy it to an online server and access it via remote desktop. This kind of hosting is more expensive, because remote desktop hogs up the entire server, where most server hosting is via a shared server.
Monthly Hosting: $50/month
Set up (optional), includes 30 minute training call: $200